Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Home Away from Home

Hi Tommy-san - Konnichiwa! As I told you in another letter, I put a deposit down on a house today. There seem to be many apartments available (or a floor of a house), but not as many houses. The realtor called this morning to say that another American family wanted the house I looked at on Saturday, so I had to make a decision or lose it. I rushed over there with the realtor and decided to take it. The apartment on the other coast by Lisa was beautiful (huge, with an ocean view to die for), but I decided that you would feel too isolated up in a high rise, a 15 minute drive on the expressway from Kadena AB. I think I made the right decision. I'll tell you about the Japanese apartments/houses I visited when we talk on the phone, but for one reason or another, I didn't think they were right. And here is my thinking. This is a two year contract (really less, because of the school year). I don't want to wait too long to get settled. This house is in Yomitan, very close to Tori Station. It is a rancher, in a supposedly quiet, Japanese neighborhood. It is a couple years old - the American family that PCS-ed (moved) lived there for 2 1/2 years. It has a small garden (with grass that we will need to cut), where you can put up your feeders. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths (bathtub/shower combination), a kitchen (electric) with a pantry, and lots of cabinets. I'll need to get the appliances from base. The dining room/living room is one large room. Lots of windows. Bedrooms are relatively small, but I think it'll be okay. We should be able to fit our master bedroom furniture in our bedroom, but the chair will probably need to go into the third bedroom, which I think we will use as a study. There are several walk-in closets and storage areas. The floors are hardwood and there is recessed lighting throughout the place. The wires are there for a satellite dish, which I am told I can get from base. I tentatively told them that I will move in on Oct 24th, so I will need to ask housing for some furniture. I can move in sooner, if I buy a car. That's my next job - to find a car. Although I don't mind walking, I don't like imposing on people all the time for a ride.

2 comments:

Gregory said...

It's easy to find Yomitan Village, Torii Station, Torii Beach and Kadena on Wikimapia.com. Just Search on "Yomitan, Japan".

Gregory

Gregory said...

It's easy to find Yomitan Village, Torii Station, Torii Beach and Kadena on Wikimapia.com. Just Search on "Yomitan, Japan".