Thursday, October 2, 2008

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Joanne departed for Okinawa yesterday on a United Airlines 14 hour direct flight from Dulles-Washington to Narita-Tokyo. She changed planes at Narita for a All Nippon 3 hour domestic flight to Naha-Okinawa. She called this morning from the Shogun Inn on Kadena Air Force Base to report her safe arrival. All total she was 25 hours in transit door to door. Joanne said she slept for 10 hours on the first flight and for 2 hours on the second. I spent my first day of retirement continuing with the 101 odds and ends that need to be done around the house before the packers arrive on Oct 9th to pick up our household goods to ship and on Oct 14th to pick up our household goods to store. The toughest part of the move is trying to decide what to ship, store, give away or toss. We're not hoarders but were amazed how much 'stuff' we accumulated over the years. Settlement on the house will take place tomorrow morning, postponed from Monday. I will be flying to Japan on or about Oct 21st to be with my JoJo-san. This is the first time I've attempted to set up a blog, so bear with me as this endeavor evolves. When I arrive in Japan, hopefully a more savvy blogger by then, I will start posting photos and links to relevant websites. If you take the time to view the numerous short videos, here's a website that will orient you to Okinawa: http://www.agileh.com/. Click on Okinawa Videos for an overview of the island. BTW, note that the date and time of this post is set for Japan standard time, hence, the 13 hour ahead time difference from US eastern daylight savings time. - ToJo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!! Mom, I hope your trip went well and you are settling in okay and Papa, I hope packing up is not too stressful. I can't wait to see you at Christmas. I still need to come up with a date.

Love, Nicki

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I love Skype, but the time change from US to Okinawa is so great that the Skype window of opportunity is small. Now I can catch up with your adventures while you are sleeping! I looked 6 of Agile H's videos, and can see that you have wonderful times ahead.

Love, Beth

Anonymous said...

Hope you are enjoying yourselves. Get the pictures posted so I can show the kids. Nice to have this site.

Rich (cuz)