Monday, October 13, 2008

Dispatch from Okinawa

(click on map to enlarge)
Hi Tom - Sounds like things are winding down at your end! The pictures of the house were sad - lots of memories there. I was happy to see a nice sunny day for the packing - hope it's the same next week. Would be a real shame to put wet stuff in storage for 2 years! Sounds like you and I had the same dinner/lunch the other day - hamburgers. But I had water, no beer. As I told you, everyone is very careful about drinking and driving. I went to the Chapel this morning around 10:30, to see if I could catch a mass. Thought I'd say a few prayers for the people in my life! It was a non-denominational mass (no Communion) and there was lots of singing. Actually, I liked the sermon, but thought there was a little too much singing. As I was leaving, I saw Dori. She invited me out to lunch with her daughter, so we went to the Big Noodle house a few block away from base. Very tasty (Yokisoba), with soup (excellent) seaweed (good), rice (didn't eat it), and a cabbage salad (very good). It cost only 750 Y.

Yakisoba Noodles

The dollar has dropped, so it's pretty much 1 to 1. I hope it goes up soon. Then Dori showed me a short cut to our new house, from base - it took no more than 15 minutes, but then it's about a 5 minute ride on base. I showed them the house and they thought it was great, especially being so close to the beach. The 2 spare bedrooms are small, but it's only going to be the two of us for most of the time. I went to Torii Beach yesterday on Torii Station. A few families were there and they were in the water. I hadn't planned on ending up there, so I didn't
Tori Beach on the East China Sea
have my suit with me. I stayed there for about an hour, just sitting, walking, AND picking up sea glass!!! I called Dave & Lynn this morning to tell them about it. My two pockets were stuffed with glass - white, brown, blue, & green of varying shades. And some of the pieces were at least 2-3 "
Beach Glass
now have them in my hotel room in a take-out plastic container. I also found pieces of pottery, with the design and glazing still on. I actually felt like I was on vacation! I've got to get some work done. I am already so far behind on the evals that I am starting to panic a little. But I will do the best I can. On top of arranging our domestic stuff, I need to learn and relearn many of the assessment tools. This takes a lot of time.

3 comments:

Cessy and Tom said...

Hi Tom and Joanne,
o genki desu ka?
Glad to hear both of you are doing well and that things are moving along. Tom, I hope you have a safe journey and Joanne, thank you for the pictures and update from Okinawa. What town do you live in so I can see where you are on the map?
Tom and I were out in Montauk this weekend for some R&R. Weather was perfect for browsing and walking through town and on the beach.
Claire is very busy with school.
We'll be raking leaves pretty soon!
Take care both of you!
Tom and Cessy

Gregory said...

It's easy to find Yomitan Village, Torii Station, Torii Beach and Kadena on Wikimapia.com. Just Search on "Yomitan, Japan".

Gregory

Stefanaccio said...

Didn't know they had pasta in Japan. Onward kama sutra soldiers....

Stephen Mark Ulissi
http://villacasale.net